The front load washing machine has a circular door in the front, from where the clothes can be loaded.
It has an H axis design for its tub, which is mounted horizontally, and has the usual perforated basket inside the tub. The tub rotates back and forth giving the clothes the necessary agitation coupled with gravity.
There are small paddles, which lift the clothes and drop them as the drum rotates.
This motion gives a flexing to the fabric, and the flow of water and detergent in the drum will force its way through the fabric, giving it a thorough cleaning.
As this action is achieved, without the clothes being totally soaked in water, the water consumption is limited.
As the agitation lifts and drops the clothes, a nice amount of foam is formed and therefore this machine does not require much detergent.
A High Efficiency detergent is required for the front loading washing machines, as it is necessary that the detergent does not produce too much of foam or suds.
The front loading washing machines have a small drawer with different compartments, which you can pull out to add the detergent, fabric softner and bleach.
The control panels on these machines are sophisticated and present a choice of programmable wash cycles. You can choose between various cycles depending on the fabric and the level of dirt in your clothes.
There are also controls to choose the temperature of water, so that you can have a hot wash for stubborn dirt and stains.
You can also preset a soaking time, so that the detergent has time to soak and act on the dirt.
The best front loading washing machines come with sophisticated motors which are quite silent in their operation.
As everything has its own positive and negative qualities, front load washing machines also have their own advantages and disadvantages.
- The front load washing machines consume less water and detergent, therefore the washing can be completed with much less water, resulting in its saving.
- The consumption of electricity in front load washing machine is very less and thus you can save a precious resource and make a saving in your power bills too.
- This type of washing machine has a more efficient agitating system and flow of water, which is gentle on the clothes, yet is able to clean them thoroughly.
- The capacity of the front load washing machine is usually much higher, and so its ideal for a large family, to get all their laundry done at one time.
- Last but not the least, these machines do not make much noise and are quieter in their operation.
- These machines are a bit costly in comparison to the top loading variety, and may not fit everybody’s budget.
- As the machine has a front loading system, people have to bend to put or remove clothes from the machine, and it may be difficult for old people as well as people suffering from backaches.
- Parents with small children should be more careful while operating and should keep their children away from the machine area.
- Though it uses fewer detergents, it needs a special detergent, specially made for this type of machines and is a bit costly, than the normal detergent.
- These machines take a longer time to wash clothes, and if you opt for the quick wash cycle, all the dirt may not be removed properly.
Taking into account the above advantages and disadvantages, we can say that the advantages definitely outweigh the disadvantages, and a front load washing machine would be a wise purchase.
The initial cost factor, will be more than compensated in the long run by the savings in power and a much better wash.